(406) 300-4044

Step by Step Guide For Registering With The International Registration Plan (IRP)

1. Identify If You Have Qualifying Vehicles

International Registration Plan fees are assessed on motor carriers traveling through two or more member states or Canadian provinces. Intrastate carriers are exempt.

Qualifying vehicles:

  • Have two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds
  • Have three or more axles, regardless of weight
  • Are used in combination, when the gross weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds

2. Contact Your Local IRP Office

You must register in the state where your main business office is located.

See our International Registration Plan Local Office page to find yours.

3. Register With Your Local IRP Office

Each International Registration Plan office has its own registration system.

Note: If you have qualified vehicles in excess of 55,000 pounds, you will be required to show evidence that you have paid your HVUT taxes before you can register with the IRP.


International Registration Plan FAQ

What vehicles are exempt from the IRP?

Recreational, vehicles displaying restricted plates, charter buses and government vehicles are exempt from IRP oversight.

What about vehicles under 26,000 pounds?

Trucks and truck tractors or combinations with a gross weight of 26,000 pounds or less are optional. You may register them with the IRP under the Registrant option.

What is a fleet?

A fleet is considered to be one or more apportionable vehicles used in interstate commerce.

Are my trailers and semi-trailers subject to the IRP?

No. The IRP does not require the registration of trailers, semi-trailers and auxiliary axles.

I am paying more than other motor carriers I know who travel through the same areas. Why?

Fees are determined by the percentage of miles your fleet spends in each jurisdiction, as well as the number of vehicles in your fleet. Other carriers may have different fleet numbers and spend more or less time in the same jurisdictions. The result is different fees.

Why do my fees change from year to year?

Every jurisdiction sets its own fees, and those fees are subject to the legislatures in each jurisdiction. Those legislatures may adjust their fees as they see fit, resulting in different fees from year to year.

What is estimated distance?

When you are calculating fees for vehicles that have not yet traveled through a jurisdiction, you must use an estimated distance. This number is reached by a jurisdiction calculating the average distance of all motor carriers traveling through that jurisdiction and the number of qualified vehicles driving those miles. The “estimated distance” is an average distance per vehicle.

Estimated distance generally applies only to new motor carriers who do not currently have a fleet on the road, or for motor carriers with new vehicles traveling through states or provinces where they haven’t traveled previously.

I feel that the estimated distances are unfair to my company. Can I calculate my own estimated distance?

In very specific circumstances, this may be approved. You will need to contact the state or province you intend to travel through and ask if your situation applies. Often special considerations are granted only with particular contracts and for drivers following specific routes.

What records am I required to keep for the International Registration Plan?

You must record all activity of your fleet. You must track fuel and distance, and you must provide source documents to support your numbers.

Why do different jurisdictions require different documents?

Each jurisdiction regulates itself according to its own laws. The IRP requires specific information irregardless of where you travel, but a state or province may have extra taxes or fees unique to that jurisdiction only.

What is a base residency requirement? How do I fulfill one?

You must maintain an established place of business in the state/province designated as your base jurisdiction. Your local state or province will require proof of this. Your business must have a physical address. A PO box is not sufficient.

Various documents may be requested, depending upon the jurisdiction. These may include: utility bills in your name, state documents demonstrating corporate residency, driver’s license, tax returns, etc.

What is the reporting period for the IRP?

The reporting period for the IRP is always July 1 to June 30.

This is not the same as a jurisdiction’s registration period. Each state and province has its own registration period.

Are there insurance requirements to register with the International Registration Plan?

Yes. You must have a minimum of third party liability insurance based upon the commodity hauled.

To get your trucking insurance, check out our Step by Step Guide to Getting Your Trucking Insurance.

If I register with the IRP am I an affiliate member?

No. An IRP member is a company or organization that has purchased an IRP, Inc. affiliate membership.